We had the good fortunate to attend the opening rounds of FIFA’s Women’s World Cup in Vancouver. The matches we saw pitted Switzerland against Ecuador (a rather lopsided affair that saw the Swiss win 10-1) and World Cup champions, Japan play Cameroon (Japan won that game 2-1). This Sunday will see Canada play Switzerland at BC Place; a game I shall sadly miss as I’m currently in London visiting family. Ah well, Go Canada Go!
It’s been just a stunningly beautiful spring and early summer in Vancouver, and, frankly, I cannot recall the last rains we had. Certainly not since early May which is, well, unheard of. We’ve been taking advantage of the great weather to get out and have fun and over the past month have:
- completed our sea-kayaking certification (yay!);
- joined Barb/Darrin and Brenda/Michael at the annual “Search for the Perfect Pint” craft beer fest in Port Moody;
- ventured over to the Sunshine Coast to explore Sechlet and Gibsons;
- waddled and waded at Second Beach outdoor pool;
- finally made it up to Prospect Point; and,
- (lucky me) spent some time in Chicago.
11) every Canadian of a certain age will know this famous place from the tv show, The Beachcombers
26) Karen (aka Mal) and I outside her lovely home in the Chicago burbs … Karen and I go waaay back to a time 20-odd years ago (OMG, 20 years ago!) when we were pit partners, and students, on an archeological dig at Tel Beth Shemesh with Harvard University (if that is at all interesting to you, see here for more)