Being good Buddhists, we spent the weekend – Friday, Saturday and Sunday – on a cleansing detox that saw no caffeine, no alcohol, no sugar, no salt, no processed flour, no dairy, and no meat. As you can imagine it was a thoroughly miserable experience yes, but a beneficial one nonetheless. We ‘ate’ several vegetable and fruit juices; a salad for lunches and a vegetable stir fry (with thankfully some brown rice) on Saturday night. Sunday we splurged and G made a homemade chunky tomato sauce that we served with brown rice fettuccine. It was actually fabulous but darn I missed the cheese!
1) Friday night we had a soup with soba noodles and pea shoots; 2) broth was dashi, mushrooms and carrots
3) it was very good, actually; 4) Saturday morning lemon with hot water and an apple, honeydew and grape juice
5) Saturday afternoon we enjoyed an apple, grape, carrot, beet and ginger juice; 6) the final product
7) Sunday morning another! juice of orange and pink grapefruit; 8) served with lemon and hot water
9) Sunday afternoon’s juice was pear, orange and apple; 10) lunch both days was this salad served with beets
11) G’s homemade tomato sauce sans sel; 12) Sunday’s appetizer
12) preparing the pasta for the table; 13) in goes the brown rice pasta
14) damn fine I must say!
There were massages for both of us and an Epsom salt bath and an early-to-bed regimen. Sure, it all was good and I do feel great but gosh I’m keen to get back to debauchery! Sorry Lord Buddha; I’ve not yet mastered (let alone believed) all that ‘life is about suffering and misery’ stuff.
…so enough of detoxing and cleansing … let’s talk about good food! G’s first adventure with genoise was back over a month ago and he produced a very yummy – though larger – strawberry cake with a sour cream Chantilly.
15) laying out the ingredients for the cake; 16) tempering the eggs
17) whip it good;18 ) add in the vanilla
19) one genoise cake; 20) lining up the strawberries
21) preparing the milk chocolate; 22) carefully halving the cake
23) off with the top and flip it over; 24) adding the cake syrup
25) adding the strawberries; 26) and the sour cream Chantilly
27) on with the second layer; 28) and more sour cream Chantilly
29) nearly there now …
30) it was DELICIOUS!