You can’t really get a good sense of a city during a short stay, I admit. And sure, Kuala Lumpur is hot and humid and busy with people, but I really enjoyed it. Really, really enjoyed it and will return for sure. But I really loved Malaysia.
We flew in from Langkawi courtesy Malaysian Airlines and were met at the airport by our driver who whisked us away to The Westin Kuala Lumpur for another of those vip in-room check-ins to a lovely room with a view of the Petronas Towers. Remember, I’m married to an architect so there are often obligatory rooms with views to architectural marvels. Not that I mind as the view was wonderful and the Towers are quite amazing in their own right.
4 & 5) our room at the Westin
6 & 7) our view from the Westin on a hazy day in KL
8 & 9) Lord Murugan guards the many steps up to the Batu Caves
10 & 11) lunching at the foot of the caves
12) we hauled our butts in wicked heat and humidity all the way to the top
14) the view from the top; 15) a pilgrim inside the shrine
16) the main shrine; 17) G is dwarfed inside the caves
18) an Indian family with an albino snake and baby – apparently this is good luck; 19) and yes, more nasty macaques at the top
20) up, up, up; 21) a shrine at the base of the stairs
22) at the base there is a festive atmosphere with all sorts of shops and restaurants
23) this is where we ate; 24) the ‘slop bucket’ makes its rounds … but damn it was good stuff!
25) we had no idea what we were ordering but simply pointed and nodded – this was delicious
26) here’s a tour of the restaurant
27) downtown KL is busy; 28) moi in the Westin Club Lounge – nice view; dreadful sushi
29) Elvis is in the house; 30) Jalan Alor – if you do nothing else when you visit, make sure you have dinner here
31) it’s bedlam as restaurant owners compete with cars to take over the street – great fun
33 & 34) lots of cooking all around you
36) the tofu was AMAZING; 37) the steamed fish was AMAZING
38) a tour of folks eating along Jalan Alor
38 & 39) hanging out at SkyBar
40) a lovely shot of the towers I took from SkyBar
41) I LOVE this picture … it remains one of my favourites from the trip … the skywalk taken from SkyBar … it actually looks computer generated but I shot this live and in person
42) SkyBar; 43) the first round of drinks arrives at SkyBar
44) G at the base of the Towers; 45) me at SkyBar
46) bye bye KL
Have been to KL three times and quite enjoy it.
I am always amazed by the combination of the modern and the ancient. When looking at your photos, I was struck by that. The wings do look good!!