I’ve been in Toronto these past couple weeks and am thoroughly (NOT) enjoying the weather that has climbed – with the humidex – to 50°C. That is so wrong on so many levels I can’t even begin to comprehend it. While I’ve been lax with picture taking, I did meet up with Mimi/Jim, CSI Carlee and Blee for dinner at the tiff Bell Lightbox restaurant – Canteen – on Friday night for dinner. The Toronto International Film Festival’s new home is great and the food was good.
2) Blee, CSI Carlee and Mimi; 3) Mimi’s mmmmm pizza
On Sunday I finally tried Toronto’s new Bixi bike system where you rent bikes for a small period of time on the cheap. We cycled from Mimi/Jim’s condo down to the waterfront to try the new patio – called Against the Grain – at the Corus Building on Lower Jarvis near Sugar Beach. They have a great special there of $5 caesars from 11am onwards with their brunch menu. While I’m not convinced the restaurant will survive winter on the waterfront, the drinks special is a winner even if the food is not.
7) Blee gets us set up on Bixi; 8) which bike to choose?…. we actually had a problem but we rang Bixi’s hotline and they got it solved
9) Sugar Beach at the foot of Lower Jarvis; 10) Blee heads to play in the fountain
11) inside the Corus building they have a funky open space complete with a slide (which in true risk management form has been closed because the City is a-scared of injury; 12) at the entrance to Against the Grain
13) Mimi eyes the caesars
14) my brunch entry was nothing special with hollandaise that left much to be desired; 15) Blee ordered their ‘breakfast bowl’
16) after brunch we went to Sherbourne Common, the new park opened by the City right near the Corus Building; 17) it uses these large structures to aerate the Humber River water (notoriously polluted) before it enters Lake Ontario … it’s a great idea and the park is rather cool we collectively thought
18) more of the cleansing structures; 19) I went for a ride
20) the effect is rather Frank Gehery-esque on the facade but is not his design or build
21) Blee and I also visited The Distrillery District one day to wander about; 22) where they have opened Canada’s first sake brewery! Very cool.
23) we also made sure to swim at Blee’s place … totally necessary considering the heat and humidity
24) Mimi and Blee pull a Vanna White to show off the new walnut cabinet, custom made to boot; 25) the crab!
Monday night I wandered out to Wellesley and Parliament to meet Deb & Dawn for dinner at Cranberries and Wednesday it was a condo crawl with our Toronto condo crew just like the ‘old’ days. Darn good fun.
Thursday night I hosted a dinner for a v. famous international dignitary – Dr. XXXXXXX (name removed on purpose) from the United Kingdom – who I brought to town to train my team and help me score points with our Board and research dollars for my program. Successful on both points I might add. We headed to The Fifth for dinner by way of a thank you and bon voyage. The Fifth remains one of the finest patio restaurants in the city I do believe and we sent Dr. XXXXXX off in style.
27) here I am with my team and Dr. XXXXXX at the Fifth … the lad who looks like Santa is my VP and one of the most astute men alive. He actually left early to hop on the Canadian Via rail train … he’s going all the way out to Vancouver where we’ll meet up again in a few weeks. My VP is a foodie like me and we could go on endlessly about eating, food and restaurants
I now find myself in London – quite tuckered to be honest – and will spend some time with my folks before heading back out to Vancouver to rejoin G.