We had opening night Saturday for “From the House of the Dead”
and a full gauntlet of reviews hit the various Toronto and area papers
Monday. The verdict is … A HIT!
Here’s a sampling of what the
critics had to say about our production:
– A rare mixture of tenderness and cruelty. The Globe & Mail
– A smashing success as an example of devastatingly dramatic music theater. The Buffalo Evening News
– Visiting a Siberian prison camp may not be ideal musical entertainment
for many people. But those who do take on the Canadian Opera Company’s
challenge will find a lot to love in this Toronto premiere. The Toronto Star
– Brilliant cast, director, conductor produce masterful opera. The Toronto Sun
– All the gore is psychological, and the Canadian Opera Company has found
the unique greatness of this opera through candid and meaningful
spectacle. The National Post
– For the open-minded, this opera, by bravely seeking out the humanity in
those declared less than human, will be a vital, unforgettable
theatrical experience. Eye Weekly
… congratulations to all of us! I’ll leave you with a picture from
the shower scene in Act II where the prisoners – in varying states of
dress (and undress .. i.e., naked) – shower. Com’on out and see us!
Seven performances left.