The sojourn to Halifax and Quebec City was lovely. Ironwoman Judy and I stayed Tuesday night at the Royal York to catch the PorterAir shuttle to the Island Airport bright and squirrelly on Wednesday morning and soon found ourselves in a windy Halifax. Wednesday night we took our Atlantic team out for dinner and drinks at Mosaic Social Dinning Club on Argyle Street. I continue to really enjoy this place … perhaps because it has a Toronto vibe in downtown Halifax … and great scallops.
2) the view from our room at the Royal York; 3) scary Shinning-like halls in the Royal York
4) our room at the Royal York; 5) Halifax harbour
Thursday we headed to Quebec City where we stayed at the Chateau Frontenac in their Or Club … it was way posh. I continue to adore Quebec City (albeit less so in the height of summer tourist season) and G and I continue to mull the eventuality of buying a place there to head to since we both love the city so much.
On Thursday – with no thanks to Air Canada but great thanks to our concierge Roger-Marie – we managed to keep our dinner reservation at the Relais & Chateaux uber gorgeous Panache (which won Wine Spectator Best Award of Excellent in 2008) in Quebec City’s most acclaimed hotel/museum, Auberge Saint-Antoine (rated one of the Top 100 Best Hotels on the Planet by Travel & Leisure Magazine).
We opted to leave ourselves in the chef’s hands completely and ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. It did not disappoint and $210 and 4 hours later we left the restaurant full and giggly.
11) Ironwoman Judy and I at the entrance to Panache; 12) in we go … it was NOT the sort of place one takes pictures of inside
13) Ironwoman Judy strolls the old city after dinner; 14) looking down to Champlain Street
15 & 16) my gorgeous room at the Chateau
17 & 18) my gorgeous view from my room at the Chateau
19) I bet my parents can name this place; 20) the archaeological site right outside the Chateau
21) Look waaaay up; 22) Champlain Street in daylight
23) the St. Lawrence; 24) one of the gates into the old city
25) the Quebec Legislative Assembly
when are you going to take me traveling with you? you visit all these wonderful places! i really need to get out of the country sometime.
It’s been awhile since I’ve been to Quebec City. You’re right – it’s a great place. I see you were also blessed with great weather during your visit.